Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings and salivations
Hi, all.

Geoff Cooper here.  "Coop," as I am known most often online and in real life --people with whom I have worked for years often are at a loss to be able to tell you my first name. 

I'm a L2 flier.  I got my L1 with Tripoli Pittsburgh in (I believe) 2009, on a LOC Minie-Magg with an H-120.  My L2 I achieved at MDRA in 2012, on an upscaled Goblin on a K-675.  The kids and I don't get to fly HPR as often as I'd like, but do try to get down to MDRA at least a couple times a year (PGH is a bit of a hike with the kids, but I do want to make it back out to fly with those guys again).  I'm a big fan of Layne Pemberton's designs, and usually have at least one Pem-Tech bird with me whenever I DO get to fly. 

I tend to fly sparky motors, as my kids get a big giggle out of their sound --I'm aware we lose impulse to display, but... nothing else SOUNDS like them.  I'm currently working on my L3 project, which will be decorated in tribute to Clive Barker's novella, "The Hellbound Heart," and the subsequent film, "Hellraiser."  I hope to fly it this fall down at MDRA's Red Glare, if there is one --if not, then perhaps sometime this fall at Higg's.  Planned motor is a M-1770.  We expect ~6700 feet and ~775FPS.  I'm half-considering the idea of a large streamer rather than a drogue at apogee for this --I've used streamers before instead of drogue parachutes.  I keep going back and forth on that. 

Anyways... glad to be here. 

Later!

--Coop
Welcome aboard Coop, and good luck on your L3! Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Howdy. Do let me know when you intend to come to any MDRA launch so I can say hi. I can also help shlepp a level 3 beast to the pad if needed.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
(08-06-2015, 02:17 PM)Bat-mite Wrote: Howdy.  Do let me know when you intend to come to any MDRA launch so I can say hi.  I can also help shlepp a level 3 beast to the pad if needed.

I may take you up on that!  Thanks!

My usual crew isn't much help in the pad-loading of the bigger rockets.  My son isn't quite tall enough and my daughter gets distracted by dandelions and butterflies.

Later!

--Coop

(08-06-2015, 08:48 AM)Greg Young Wrote: Welcome aboard Coop, and good luck on your L3! Smile

Thanks!  I'll do a build overview once done.  I generally do detailed build threads on my Facebook page, with smart-aleck commentary and more explanation than most rocketry-folk require, as most of my friends have little concept what it is I do with these painted pipes...

Later!

--Coop
(08-06-2015, 10:41 PM)Coop Wrote: I may take you up on that!  Thanks!

My usual crew isn't much help in the pad-loading of the bigger rockets.  My son isn't quite tall enough and my daughter gets distracted by dandelions and butterflies.

Ha! I have the exact same problem! My son really wants to help, but he is three feet tall and clueless. He tries hard.

My daughter is more interested in walking around the farm looking for bones.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
(08-07-2015, 08:45 AM)Bat-mite Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 10:41 PM)Coop Wrote: I may take you up on that!  Thanks!

Ha!  I have the exact same problem!  My son really wants to help, but he is three feet tall and clueless.  He tries hard.

My daughter is more interested in walking around the farm looking for bones
Bones?  Yeah, my daughter would be all into that kind of exploration... my son would too, for that matter!

Later!
--Coop
The Higgs brothers used to have cows, and there are some cow skeletons on the field.

My son is a trip, though! Right before he turned four, I launched my G-Force on a G80. It came down about 100 yards or so from the pad, but I had to cross a road to get to it.

My son went with me to retrieve it. On the way, he said, "Dat wasn't a good fwight."

I aksed, "What do you mean, 'That wasn't a good flight' ? It did everything I wanted it to do."

He said, "It didn't come down in da wocket wange. Dat wasn't a good fwight."

I was a little insulted, so I said, "I thought it was a perfectly good flight."

He just shook his head disdainfully. "Dat wasn't a good fwight...."
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
HAAAA! From the mouths of babes...

My son informed me that "sometimes, they blow up, Dad, so if it does... don't worry." As I was getting ready to bring my first 75mm flight to the RSO table.

"Thanks, kid."

Later!

--Coop
(08-08-2015, 12:01 AM)Coop Wrote: HAAAA!  From the mouths of babes...

My son informed me that "sometimes, they blow up, Dad, so if it does... don't worry."  As I was getting ready to bring my first 75mm flight to the RSO table.  

"Thanks, kid."

Later!

--Coop

Awesome.   Big Grin
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA