Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First BAR projects finally 'Finished'
Okay, I'll get things started.

I got back into Rocketry after about a 30 year hiatus last fall, built several over the winter and finally got around to the painting a decals on several.

The Citation Patriot was my first.  Looking back now, I maybe should have started a little more slowly than to try and clone one, but it was my sentimental favorite from my youth and I wanted to have it again!  Although it was an easy to build rocket, it's really all about the decals.  Many thanks to Gordon at Excelsior Rocketry for the decals!

Pro Tip:  If you have a new pit bull puppy that lives in the same area you build and store your rockets, make sure you put them somewhere about 3 times higher than the length of your pup.  I had to start over with the Patriot, a Ricochet, and the Drifter in the picture (cut new fins, fill teeth marks, etc.).  I also had a Semroc April Dancer that I was only able to save the nose cone from (fortunate, since that is the defining characteristic of that rocket).  The Flutter-by was a total loss, but, thanks to the many Estes sales, it's back in the build pile.

Speaking of the Estes sales, that's where the Hornet and Phoenix Bird came from, as well as the Ricochet and Chuter-two not pictured (they're in the final stages of finishing/decals).

The Drifter is another sentimental favorite that I wanted to clone.  I just always found it to be very elegant.  Another round of thanks to Excelsior for its decals.  I really like a lot of the old 'Astron' designs, so I'll eventually have a Cobra and Ranger (I see Semroc has that kit available again).

[Image: 18534470442_16d5ca6f26_b.jpg]Untitled by 69murray, on Flickr
The Citation Patriot, I loved that rocket.
Love the Drifter paint scheme.  I forgot all about that decal when I did mine a couple of years back.
The Drifter really lives up to its name with the bigger chute. I can remember doing some good, long sprints as a kid with that one.
Your post is encouraging me to get building my Cobra kit. I have been meaning to do that for a while, but there just seems to be too many builds, and too little time....
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(06-07-2015, 10:40 PM)Rigor Mortis Wrote: Love the Drifter paint scheme.  I forgot all about that decal when I did mine a couple of years back.

Thanks!  Thought I'd try something a little different than the usual white and blue.  I was pretty happy with how it turned out.
Those look great!
(06-08-2015, 08:16 PM)challenger11 Wrote: Those look great!

Thanks!  If that Mach 10 in your Avatar is the same one I saw you post a thread about in another forum, it's really impressive.  Can't wait to here how it flies!  That's another one of those old 'classics' that I'd like to build someday as well.
I finally got the decals and clear coat on the Chuter Two:

[Image: 18170137793_b4d9e8c815_c.jpg]

And here's one more of the Patriot with his little brother (I finally got that and the carded downscaled Big Bertha (above) clear coated as well:
[Image: 18793340741_fe054dba9d_c.jpg]

And and updated family portrait:

[Image: 18790814045_e752cccd55_c.jpg]