Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CJ'S PUNISHER-2 STAGE .....new Missleworks GPS!
(10-29-2015, 08:05 AM)patelldp Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 08:41 PM)T34zac Wrote: Ok so I'm REALLY looking forward to this RTx unit. Can't wait as I love my RRC3 and its LCD. However, I don't quite understand why the base unit needs a GPS too. Care to explain that a little more please?

In the case of many GPS systems (BRB900, Tragic Little Aerospace, AIM Xtra, Telemetrum depending on set up), the receiver's sole job is to report out the GPS coordinates of the transmitter.  Once the rocket has landed, you transfer these coordinates into your phone's location app or a Garmin Nuvi-type handheld GPS navigator.  To get to the rocket, you follow the arrow on your phone or on your Garmin.

By putting a GPS in the receiver (base), that transfer won't need to happen.  The base will give you a heading and a distance to your rocket without the need to type coordinates into a secondary device!  This is only possible if the base knows its current location in relation to the transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for clarifying. I though it was going to be "plug coordinates into phone" type. This will likely be my first GPS system for rocketry so I want to learn as much as I can about it.

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
Interesting system. I love the 3D printed receiver and the ability to use it for finding the rocket (vs just coordinates). I might have to get a system if the price point is compelling.
Mark Rose
Tripoli Vegas
TRA #11717 L3
KG7NWI
I just got back from MWP13....after reading it seems Dan has answered the questions pretty much spot on.....thank you sir!

To verify, yes the LCD is same unit and you can plug your altimeter into it, just by switching cables.
Bear in mind this case/blue box....is just beta unit also to hold stuff together. As with other brands being sold, you may install your system into anything...anyway you wish. A "black box" may be next...LOL!
I would like to see access to dip switches and flipping cable as in above...

Lots to post about the 2-stage and GPS worked flawless..but must settle in after 7 hr drive..unpack etc...Just checking in
Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
(11-02-2015, 09:10 PM)Blackjack2564 Wrote: I just got back from MWP13....after reading it seems Dan has answered the questions pretty much spot on.....thank you sir!

No problem, I've been out of the loop for a bit but it appears he has held true to his original plans.  I like the addition of the home base having a GPS built in.  Not having to translate coordinates into a secondary device is nice!

I really, really, really wish he had an accelerometer onboard the RRC3...It's keeping me from being too excited about this offering and why I've doubled down on the AIM Xtra...
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
Patell Manufacturing Facebook Page
This is nice for a base station receiver. I originally purchased a Kenwood TH-D72a partially for that reason, but its internal GPS is crazy inaccurate.
While I'm going through the MWP pics.
This should hold ya over till then.

Charlie made me this Carbon Punisher/SpaceCowboy.....BUT    75mm minimum D!   SaWeeeeeet!
My original NC fit perfect.

Has an original set of 75mm air foiled fins made by Eric.

Lots -a-sparkle.....

Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
That 75mm Punisher's gonna need a set of flyaway rail guides. I'll get to work.
NAR #96751, Level 2
Mayhem Rocketry, LLC
That's a nice rocket you have there...if you're looking for me, I'll be under my car.
Ooo very nice.
QRS: 124
TRA: 14838  L2
AMRS: 32 L2
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: Black Brant, Purple Parrot
(11-04-2015, 12:07 AM)wfcook Wrote: That 75mm Punisher's gonna need a set of flyaway rail guides. I'll get to work.

O.O those will be huge!

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
I spent better part of day taking this thing apart & cleaning for next flight.
Much more care involved since these parts have such tight tolerances, any dirt or grit in tail of sustainer must be cleaned thoroughly or inter-stage/coupler may bind. Price one pays for successful 2-stage flights-but worth it.

So here's how the new aluminum Interstage Works:

11in long ;

6in fits in booster- 2in vent band- 3in -into sustainer = 11in
There is absolutely NO wiggle or play in the fit between sustainer & booster. All this took countless hours of fitting & work.
Charlie from Carolina Composites made the interstage.

When in storage between flights I keep it in airframe cutoffs. Only real drawback to being Alum. is if dropped, & you ding or bend an edge your kinds sc#@$'d so care is a must.

Separation charge in top end of I.S. [interstage coupler from now on] uses .5 gram BP  
The entire BP and rods are removable for easy prep and cleaning BP residue after flight.
There is O-ring on BP to seal airtight so no gases get into e-bay. this will be shown later.

Other end of I.S. acts as NC for Booster and this is ejection charge on another beautifully fitting aluminum BP.
Tie rods are # 10, no need for 1/4 on this.

2.0grams of BP used for this flight. The 54 adapter was installed and flew a AT K-1100 in booster, so there was ALOT of empty space in fin can to be pressurized.
2 starters are used in one BP charge as there is only one altimeter installed. This cuts down chance of failure immensely.

With BP cap removed, you can see the timer sled [Missleworks PET-2] and the Strato CF sled stacked.
Everything I do now is modular so it can be moved between rockets easily and used in different configurations.
Note the timer sled fits BETWEEN the tie rods. Not on them There are no tubes glued to sled. I can use both sides, in any fashion needed, with more usable space. The smaller sled is actually from my 38minimum rocket. It slips on 1 of the tie rods.
It slipped right in saving me time. No need to put on timer sled or mount on it's owns.

Strato sled still has leads for apogee charge there. Showing I use 2 matches with leads twisted and doubled up per screw for 1 charge.
Apogee only for booster.

Sled for timer is cut to exactly fit....front to back & side to side...so when in place it cannot move or rotate.

Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga