Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CJ'S PUNISHER-2 STAGE .....new Missleworks GPS!
Those Missileworks PET2+ timers are "golden"--just have to worry about start up on a cold day.

I sure wish Jim Amos could find a way to add a 3-Axis acel or MEMS component to somehow detect tilt on those things...
Inside of I.S is actually two different ID's.... the upper part fitting into sustainer is thinner than rear section.
Reason for this is create a "ledge" for the BP to sit on when slid in, down to vent band.

Here you also see the O ring installed in groove. A bit a grease and it slides right in. When prepping, I put separation charge on BP then install it making it easier than fishing wires. Also simpler to clean out charge residue after flight.

All this is actually "test mule" stuff for a much larger project we are working on.

Showing how much of I.S. fits inside  booster & sustainer.
Note the "shear tape" on the I.S. to booster fit...LOL I forgot to drill holes for shear-pins.
 It was an ......at the launch.... last minute call, but none of you guys are EVER guiltily of that, are ya?
I do use shear tape in lieu of pins a lot....but that usually when the motor is too long to get the parts back together..lol

(11-11-2015, 04:21 PM)dixontj Wrote: Those Missileworks PET2+ timers are "golden"--just have to worry about start up on a cold day.

I sure wish Jim Amos could find a way to add a 3-Axis acel or MEMS component to somehow detect tilt on those things...

Actually Tim, he has the parts to do full blown "Tilt-tometer" but the GPS/Rtx and other 2 boards for RRC3 are first in line. I fully agree with you....BUT I can guarantee you this.
He will have one
He has too!
Our project we are doing together with Charlie O is a large 2-stage requiring Class -3 waiver AND obviously a T-meter!
This thing is basically a proof of concept for the Biggie!

Once this Punisher thing is dialed in with 54's then on to 75's & 54's....finally resulting in a flight next year consisting of a 6xl 75mm Green [flat thrust curve] to the mellow 54 6xl {I can't remember all the designations, but I do remember thrust curves...LOL] Once we feel comfortable with this one.............then the spin-stabalized version will be built.
Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
(11-11-2015, 04:25 PM)Blackjack2564 Wrote:    

(11-11-2015, 04:21 PM)dixontj Wrote: Those Missileworks PET2+ timers are "golden"--just have to worry about start up on a cold day.

Actually Tim, he has the parts to do full blown "Tilt-tometer" but the GPS/Rtx and other 2 boards for RRC3 are first in line. I fully agree with you....BUT I can guarantee you this.
He will have one
He has too!
Our project we are doing together with Charlie O is a large 2-stage requiring Class -3 waiver AND obviously a T-meter!
This thing is basically a proof of concept for the Biggie!

Once this Punisher thing is dialed in with 54's then on to 75's & 54's....finally resulting in a flight next year consisting of a 6xl 75mm Green [flat thrust curve] to the mellow 54 6xl {I can't remember all the designations, but I do remember thrust curves...LOL] Once we feel comfortable with this one.............then the spin-stabalized version will be built.

The 54 6XL mellow is an L265. I only know this since I want to put it into the sustainer of a 3" rocket someday... I also want to put it in an MD and other rockets because 10s of burn just sounds way to cool.

Spin stabilized? Class 3 two stage? Missileworks tiltometer? Count me in as hungry to find out more.

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
Jim, using AL for the interstage, does that give you a more solid 'fit' than using FG? It is certainly stronger, but curious how well you got it to fit while still being able to drop with 0.5gr BP.
Mark Rose
Tripoli Vegas
TRA #11717 L3
KG7NWI
(11-14-2015, 02:11 PM)Stealthfixr Wrote: Jim, using AL for the interstage, does that give you a more solid 'fit' than using FG? It is certainly stronger, but curious how well you got it to fit while still being able to drop with 0.5gr BP.

For my purpose yes. I got close with fiberglass, but this unit is slick. The last 1/4in. of I.S. "locks" in place. If you pick up the stack by holding sustainer and shake, it will not budge. Move it back 1/4 in.....it falls right off.

It actually drag separates instantly with-out need for the charge.However I'm covering the bases in case of a less than perfectly vertical flight, where the I.S may not slide freely due to angle....the charge with compensate for that.
Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
Jim, so Charlie actually machined it with a few mils added diameter right at the seam?
Basically...yes.

On to the Av-bay in Sustainer.
This contains 2 altimeters   Strato-CF & Missleworks RRC3 with Aux set for timer start at motor ignition & 3.8 seconds. [For the flight at hand, based on staging at X velocity & 1800ft]
The GPS/Rtx.
1 9volt battery
2 1 cell [3.7v] lipo's [Turnigy 750 ma] for GPS & RRC3 since they are running in tandem so altimeter data streams to base with GPS packets. This tells me I have successful [or not] events I programmed.

All this stuff crammed into a 2.5in x 5.5 in sled. It required thinking outside the box and "layering" several items to make them fit.

Note blue cable hooks RRC3 to GPS unit. I just did  twist & tape for all switches ...that was fun..lol

White wire is downlink radio antenna, after testing several different types, this simple one seems to work best.

I came up with this staging idea & it works fantastic! Not saying I invented it......but I never have seen it before.
Use a JST connector hooked to staging terminal block.
Just slide match wire into each connector hole, leaving barely enough hanging out far side to bend a small tab, facing out side. [these are exaggerated for pics] There is enough friction,[they must be forced in] to hold in place under any forces & the tabs will keep in place under any V-max/warp-9 type thrust] & they pull out easy enough so there is NO trauma on terminal blocks. 
This technique has made for smoother apogee deploys. [based on velocity graphs from altimeters before & after using JST vs direct hook up to terminal blocks with match] There was always a "jerk" from wire breaking, which no longer happens-just slide out of JST]

[there is a section of wire/debris on match side of JST laying on table.....I did not notice till editing pics, don't let it fool you, ignore it, not part of hook up]

Anyhow this technique makes for quick-reliable staging/clustering match hook up. Been using it for quite awhile now.

The terminal staging block is completely wrapped in tape, to protect from BP residue after liberally soaking in WD-40 all this in hopes of keeping corrosion at bay.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Here are fin cans for Booster and Sustainer.

Booster 57inches with fins sized for 4in airframe on 3in airframe.....shown with 75 to 54 adapter made by Carolina Composites for me. It has a Y-harness built on for recovery & is held in place by rear rail button. Tailcone acts as 'thrust plate'' for 54mm motors.
[Larger fins needed due to short sustainer]

It can be flown by itself as DD rocket simply by moving the head end DD nose cone from Sustainer on 6xl 75mm motors!

Sustainer is stock length Punisher 32in. 
The NC does have 1 lb. of lead dust/epoxy added for 2-stage stability & flying long motors in Booster when moved there.

Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
(11-14-2015, 10:45 PM)Blackjack2564 Wrote: I came up with this staging idea & it works fantastic! Not saying I invented it......but I never have seen it before.
Use a JST connector hooked to staging terminal block.
Just slide match wire into each connector hole, leaving barely enough hanging out far side to bend a small tab, facing out side. [these are exaggerated for pics] There is enough friction,[they must be forced in] to hold in place under any forces & the tabs will keep in place under any V-max/warp-9 type thrust] & they pull out easy enough so there is NO trauma on terminal blocks. 
This technique has made for smoother apogee deploys. [based on velocity graphs from altimeters before & after using JST vs direct hook up to terminal blocks with match] There was always a "jerk" from wire breaking, which no longer happens-just slide out of JST]

[there is a section of wire/debris on match side of JST laying on table.....I did not notice till editing pics, don't let it fool you, ignore it, not part of hook up]

Anyhow this technique makes for quick-reliable staging/clustering match hook up. Been using it for quite awhile now.

The terminal staging block is completely wrapped in tape, to protect from BP residue after liberally soaking in WD-40 all this in hopes of keeping corrosion at bay.

I like that. I'm going to have to start using that

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
OK. Stupid question. What JST connector is that in the photo? I would like to try your technique, but there a ton of different one. Thanks!
(11-14-2015, 06:25 PM)Blackjack2564 Wrote:
(11-14-2015, 02:11 PM)Stealthfixr Wrote: Jim, using AL for the interstage, does that give you a more solid 'fit' than using FG? It is certainly stronger, but curious how well you got it to fit while still being able to drop with 0.5gr BP.

For my purpose yes. I got close with fiberglass, but this unit is slick. The last 1/4in. of I.S. "locks" in place. If you pick up the stack by holding sustainer and shake, it will not budge. Move it back 1/4 in.....it falls right off.

It actually drag separates instantly with-out need for the charge.However I'm covering the bases in case of a less than perfectly vertical flight, where the I.S may not slide freely due to angle....the charge with compensate for that.

Jim, do you think you get could close to the same thing with a FG coupler and using thin epoxy/sanding to get a similar fit? Any advice for when there isn't a trick FG interstage coupler?

BTW, is Charlie going to offer those online (or has he already)? Love that AL interstage coupler.
Mark Rose
Tripoli Vegas
TRA #11717 L3
KG7NWI