Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey look, a new forum!
Glad we have a new spot to have some fun.  A few points I'll keep in mind while participating here:

1. Conflict between people is real.  Competition between vendors is real.  Small markets often drive Competition to result in Conflict.  That's okay.
  2. I'm happy that we won't have to pay for anything on this forum.  I understand that "nothing is truly free" and I appreciate the time, work, and money that the owners of this forum are expending to allow us to banter about.
  3. If there's something you hated on the other forum, make sure it's different here.  Be vocal and call a spade a spade.
I have a quick concern already about this place...I think there's too many subforums.  I feel like posts will get lost with so many subforums and confusion may reduce interest.  Trim it down to start and keep your ear to the street to see if someone is dying for additional subforums.
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
Patell Manufacturing Facebook Page
I like your #3. Don't get me wrong, I didn't come here to pick a fight, just the opposite. I came here for the same reasons I joined the other forum, to learn from others about rocketry! I used to love all the build threads over there but that stupid thread named "what did you do rocketry wise today" killed off most build threads. Then those greedy non rocket flyin bastards want me to pay for the luxury of having no frickin ads and a bigger mail box?? I hope the idiots stay over there but if they cross me here, I wont bite my tongue!
You probably have a point on subforums. Not sure why there is a "Recovery" section under "General Discussions" and another under "Techniques & Tips" or an entire "Electronics" forum plus another Electronics section under "Advanced Topics."
Thanks guys, glad to have you! This forum was created organically by Flyers mostly on east coast! Yes, we were a bit soured by things in other forums. Much like all the good regional launches it started out as "someone should start a new forum", we were actually in the process of evaluating forum software when someone found our test platform, created an account and posted it on Facebook OOPS! Fate choose MYBB for us! good choice anyway.

The number of sub forums is another organically grown product, people kept asking for this and that. although i think the dual "recovery" needs to be trimmed, how we missed that???
(11-03-2015, 09:20 AM)nismerf Wrote: Thanks guys, glad to have you! This forum was created organically by Flyers mostly on east coast! Yes, we were a bit soured by things in other forums. Much like all the good regional launches it started out as "someone should start a new forum", we were actually in the process of evaluating forum software when someone found our test platform, created an account and posted it on Facebook OOPS! Fate choose MYBB for us! good choice anyway.

The number of sub forums is another organically grown product, people kept asking for this and that. although i think the dual "recovery" needs to be trimmed, how we missed that???

Hey, it happens...Honestly we can make any format work.

My theory is that you want the least amount of subforums as possible.  Maybe you can do something creative like crafting the groups after the major stages of launch:

1. Building
   - Build Threads
   - Techniques, tips
   - Products
2. At the Car / At the Pad
   - Launch Support Equipment (Pads, controllers, etc.)
   - What's your setup?
   - Rules / Regulations
3. Boost Phase
   - Commercial Propulsion Discussion
   - Research Propulsion Discussion
4. Apogee and Recovery
   - Altimeters, timers, and other recovery electronics
   - Deployment tools (cable cutters, chute releases, etc.)
   - Parachute / Streamers
5. Other
   - Introductions
   - Items for Sale
   - Vendor Showcase

Obviously open to interpretation, criticism, etc.  In order to get the most traffic to each thread, they need to be in as large of a group as possible.  If a first timer pops into a low-traffic and underutilized sub-forum they may see there's little usage and not stick around.
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
Patell Manufacturing Facebook Page
I think the mods should have talked to Dan before starting...  Big Grin

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
A lot of good points there.
Bill Fields
L2
TRA
Man, all this time I thought Dan was a mod.   Wink
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
However the Building Section does need a sub section devoted to Scale Rockets, IMO.
I personally don't much care if there are a lot of subforums. My entry into forums are 'today's posts', which I have linked in my browser's header. Even on the busier TRF, I generally only have three pages to flip through to see everything that has gone on since my last visit. Very easy.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.