Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using A8-3s
Rainbow 
Greetings to all:

Of all the motors that I pull from the Blast-off motor pack, the A8-3s seem to be the least useful due to low lift power.  An A10-3 does a better job in terms of thrust and weight.  I have been inclined to either give them away to kids I work with at rocket camps or build special A motor clusters with 2-3 motors per rocket.  I have one under construction for an upcoming Apollo 11 commemoration rocket camp in July.

Any other uses for A8-3s ?

Astrosaint Cool
You sound like me.
I don't buy A8-3s anymore. A10-3t engines seem just as good
and you get four for the same price as the A8-3s.
Surprisingly, an A10-3t in an 5/20 adapter weighs a little less than an A8-3!
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

I buy them because the Hobby Lobby coupon means that I can get the Flight Pack at 40% off, and they're perfect for minimum diameter/BT-50 birds at B6-4 Field.
Greetings:

A8-3s are an inexpensive way to generate smoke and noise when you fire 7 of them at once ! They can also throw a good size rocket into the air without having to outrun a small field.Big Grin   I stick to just 2-3 since flashbulbs and thermalite went away.  Just 2 will toss a BT60 to a good height.  Estes original Saturn-1b used 4 A8-3s to loft the 1/70 scale back in the 1960s.

They are far from useless--just build small or cluster large.  The 3 motor model may turn into a "psudo-Saturn 1" mutant as I assemble it.  It is going to be presented to the Mayor of the Town of Astatula, FLA--sponsor of the rocket camp.

Astrosaint
Just about any of the Custom Rockets brand fly well on an A8-3.

I like to shoot one up as a first launch of the day to test the winds. Also they come in handy when the Ren Fair occupies our club's regular site at the regional park and we have a much smaller area to play in.

Jerome Smile
A8-3's are the gateway drug to APCP. APCP is highly addictive, readily available on the streets, and can lead to bankruptcy when used in excess.
Dwayne Shmel
L2
Dwayne if you think it leads to bankruptcy just wait until you go for your L3!! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(06-09-2015, 07:56 AM)ROCKETS Wrote: A8-3's are the gateway drug to APCP. APCP is highly addictive, readily available on the streets, and can lead to bankruptcy when used in excess.

You can buy a box o' them and hand them out like candy when the scouts come out to launch their first rockets with the local clubs.

"First one's free!"

(06-09-2015, 08:05 AM)Greg Young Wrote: Dwayne if you think it leads to bankruptcy just wait until you go for your L3!! Wink

When I got my L-1, Wildman told me my L-2 was only a credit card away........Wink
Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.
That sounds like Tim... If that is the case, then your L3 is only 2 credit cards away! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(06-09-2015, 03:58 PM)Greg Young Wrote: That sounds like Tim... If that is the case, then your L3 is only 2 credit cards away! Wink

Or one credit card and a divorce!

I Like sticking A8-3's in my Alpha III. I used to have a bunch of rockets that size.