Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using A8-3s
Mail your excess A8-3s to me and I will use them!
(06-08-2015, 05:46 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: They are far from useless--just build small or cluster large.  The 3 motor model may turn into a "psudo-Saturn 1" mutant as I assemble it.  It is going to be presented to the Mayor of the Town of Astatula, FLA--sponsor of the rocket camp.

I built a BT-50 downscale of a Big Bertha and an A8-3 will take it as far as I dare go on my "B" field.

@Astrosaint: I would love to see a picture of your "psudo-Saturn 1"
(06-11-2015, 01:10 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 05:46 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: They are far from useless--just build small or cluster large.  The 3 motor model may turn into a "psudo-Saturn 1" mutant as I assemble it.  It is going to be presented to the Mayor of the Town of Astatula, FLA--sponsor of the rocket camp.

I built a BT-50 downscale of a Big Bertha and an A8-3 will take it as far as I dare go on my "B" field.

@Astrosaint: I would love to see a picture of your "psudo-Saturn 1"

Ok, the Psudo-Saturn  is actually going to be based on a discarded Saturn version NASA was looking into back in 1962.  I have a Marshall Space Flight Center concept drawing of it that I got off Wikipedia.  The rocket was referred to as the Saturn-3.  Think of a shortened Saturn 5 with 2 F1s for stage one, 5-6 J-2 for stage 2, and a short Saturn third stage using a group of Centaur RL-10s.

The rocket would have had the lift of a Delta 4Heavy and would have been launched off Pad 37B (which was never built but was sited to be next to LC 37 and Pad 34).

It was abandoned after NASA choose Lunar Orbital Rendezvous rather than Earth Orbit Rendezvous.  That would have required 2 rockets, one for the Lunar Module and one for the Command/Service Modules.

I am building 2 of these out of Pringle's Cans.  Pringle's has 2 can versions, long and short.  The short one is getting a 3 A cluster while the long gets a D mount for C11/D12 usage.  The short one goes to the Mayor of Astatula.  It is made from 2 short cans that make a 16.5 inch can when glued end to end.  The 2 long cans reach 19.75 inches when glued end to end.

I have added an image of the proposed rocket.  I will add a squat 3rd stage/nosecone assembly to the top and use profile fins.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-11-2015, 03:52 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: Ok, the Psudo-Saturn  is actually going to be based on a discarded Saturn version NASA was looking into back in 1962.  I have a Marshall Space Flight Center concept drawing of it that I got off Wikipedia.  The rocket was referred to as the Saturn-3....

That will be COOL! I hope you will start a thread and share pictures. I would love to see it.

BTW, do you launch with NEFAR or R.O.C.K.?
I think there's a value for A8-3 and always start my initial flights with one of those. I would be VERY cautious about substituting an A10-3, as I have experienced an entire pack being defective, and you could sacrifice a rocket or kit to discover this.

I also have used the A8-3 in the Edwards Aeospace Deltie, Cici or similar gliders (I forget just now which requires which size) but on a calm day, there's little more pleasing than to see your glider go up and lazily describe circles as it drifts down range. Kids LOVE them!

(So, sure, if you have extra that you want to be rid of, keep me in mind. My mailman would LOVE to deliver an unmarked Hasmat package to my box! LOL!)
(06-11-2015, 04:22 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 03:52 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: Ok, the Psudo-Saturn  is actually going to be based on a discarded Saturn version NASA was looking into back in 1962.  I have a Marshall Space Flight Center concept drawing of it that I got off Wikipedia.  The rocket was referred to as the Saturn-3....

That will be COOL! I hope you will start a thread and share pictures. I would love to see it.

BTW, do you launch with NEFAR or R.O.C.K.?

I fly with ROCK a 3/4 times a year.  They help support the Astatula Moon Day rocket build (but that is for another thread).
Use your A8's as upper stage engines on multi-stage rockets.
They work well on a Comanche three-stage!
Wink 
Greetings:

It appears that I will be inheriting my school's YMCA based rocket club.  The reason for this is that the current manager is moving to robotics.  When he showed me his supplies, he had about 1,000 A8-3s in 3 large boxes.  They were boxed in single units with starters by Pitsco.  That was all he had--no Pitsco kits.  Those motors have to be used first before a new shipment comes in.

I have a bunch of RB-74 and RB-77 from Howard Kuhn days (for the newbies, he used to run a company out of VA called Competition Model Rockets).  From those tubes, I was thinking a Centuri Aquila style rocket with a cork for a nosecone, paper towel "short Berthas" with paper cones, and perhaps a cluster Pseudo Saturn/Nova design.  I will sit in on the next after school class during the last week of September.

A8-3s are of limited use beyond the BT-20/RB-74.  However, they work great for clusters on small fields.

Angel Astrosaint
Recently I introduced my grand daughters to rocketry.  I had some old small rockets like Estes Alphas and an A8-3 was about as big as we could use flying at a local schoolyard. As a kid I hardly ever bought As, since Bs and Cs were not too much more.  

A few years ago I bought all the Estes motors being clearance at Walmart, and it's good to have some A8-3s now. I cloned an Astron Cobra, and may use A8-3s for its maiden flight.
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra
(09-26-2015, 08:40 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: ...When he showed me his supplies, he had about 1,000 A8-3s in 3 large boxes. They were boxed in single units with starters by Pitsco. That was all he had--no Pitsco kits. Those motors have to be used first before a new shipment comes in...

Like Kirk G said, if you desire to get rid of some of those A8-3s I will gladly buy some from you, and I live close enough to pick them up so shipping is not an issue. Big Grin
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.