Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URRG Banned????
I have no connection to the forum. I am a regular user. You seem to be making a lot of very public accusations and insinuations while not discussing the background issues, which are more public than you would like to admit. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
NAR #96751, Level 2
Mayhem Rocketry, LLC
That's a nice rocket you have there...if you're looking for me, I'll be under my car.
(11-05-2015, 03:31 PM)Rich Holmes Wrote: To the admins, 

The allegations being made here need to be addressed publicly, not erased. Was there really an email sent to Mike Dutch telling him not to promote URRG? If so, did it then and does it now reflect actual Rocketry Center policy? If it does, is there a general site wide ban on promoting URRG? If it does not, why was the email sent?

It's really looking stinky, and will look stinkier, unless you make a public explanation. Deleting parts of posts with no explanation is entirely the wrong way to deal with this.

Rich,
The deleting of partial posts has to happen.
I would have deleted the entire thread, but people were following it, and I thought it best to be open and not erased.
Super Admin

I am closing this thread because it is off topic.
I will start a new thread on the topic of RCF policies.
Super Admin
(11-05-2015, 11:47 PM)wfcook Wrote: I have no connection to the forum. I am a regular user. You seem to be making a lot of very public accusations and insinuations while not discussing the background issues, which are more public than you would like to admit. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

And what may I ask, Am I doing in a glass house ?
(11-06-2015, 12:47 AM)Devnull Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 03:31 PM)Rich Holmes Wrote: To the admins, 

The allegations being made here need to be addressed publicly, not erased. Was there really an email sent to Mike Dutch telling him not to promote URRG? If so, did it then and does it now reflect actual Rocketry Center policy? If it does, is there a general site wide ban on promoting URRG? If it does not, why was the email sent?

It's really looking stinky, and will look stinkier, unless you make a public explanation. Deleting parts of posts with no explanation is entirely the wrong way to deal with this.

Rich,
The deleting of partial posts has to happen.
I would have deleted the entire thread, but people were following it, and I thought it best to be open and not erased.
Super Admin

I am closing this thread because it is off topic.
I will start a new thread on the topic of RCF policies.
Super Admin

This thread still seems to be open and I don't see a new one, so I'll respond here.

I did not say the deletion should not have happened. I said it should not have happened without explanation.

A full explanation — not just of why the material was deleted, but what that email was all about in the first place. We're still waiting for that.

This is exactly one of the things wrong with TRF: Anonymous admins and their moderators taking unexplained actions against posts, threads, and/or users to enforce what may or may not be policies not made public. It stinks there, it stinks here.

I would think you would have learned the lesson: Transparency is important. If there is a policy regarding URRG, it needs to be stated and explained publicly. If there is not, then the email supposedly sent to Dutch needs to be explained publicly. Otherwise you're just one more drama cabal, and rocketry has enough of them.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(11-06-2015, 10:02 AM)Rich Holmes Wrote: [quote pid='2637' dateline='1446785249']
This thread still seems to be open and I don't see a new one, so I'll respond here.

I did not say the deletion should not have happened. I said it should not have happened without explanation.

A full explanation — not just of why the material was deleted, but what that email was all about in the first place. We're still waiting for that.

This is exactly one of the things wrong with TRF: Anonymous admins and their moderators taking unexplained actions against posts, threads, and/or users to enforce what may or may not be policies not made public. It stinks there, it stinks here.

I would think you would have learned the lesson: Transparency is important. If there is a policy regarding URRG, it needs to be stated and explained publicly. If there is not, then the email supposedly sent to Dutch needs to be explained publicly. Otherwise you're just one more drama cabal, and rocketry has enough of them.

[/quote]

Rich,
The mechanism for locking a thread needs some work as you can see.
As for an explanation, there isn't one.
That one moderator acted on their own and will be dealt with.
It takes a dedicated group of volunteers to run a forum.
I am not in here monitoring the forum as the moderators do a fine job of it and I don't like to micromanage.
Well this situation shows me I need to be watching the moderators too as that email should not have been sent and was not authorized.
We have a policy that we will only change a post if it's off topic and label it as such, that's what I did when I found that offensive material.

Again, this is an open rocket forum and all are welcome.
And all topics are welcome as long as they are on topic and not offensive.
Which leads me to one other thing we will edit which is profanity.
Please, we want this a kid friendly place.
So if you feel like you want to create a thread that says how wonderful TRF is, we will not remove it or edit it.
Moderators have personalities so there may be bumps in the road, but we will strive to keep it transparent.
So enjoy the freedom,
Super Admin
(11-06-2015, 11:05 AM)Devnull Wrote: Rich,
The mechanism for locking a thread needs some work as you can see.
As for an explanation, there isn't one.
That one moderator acted on their own and will be dealt with.
It takes a dedicated group of volunteers to run a forum.
I am not in here monitoring the forum as the moderators do a fine job of it and I don't like to micromanage.
Well this situation shows me I need to be watching the moderators too as that email should not have been sent and was not authorized.
We have a policy that we will only change a post if it's off topic and label it as such, that's what I did when I found that offensive material.

Again, this is an open rocket forum and all are welcome.
And all topics are welcome as long as they are on topic and not offensive.
Which leads me to one other thing we will edit which is profanity.
Please, we want this a kid friendly place.
So if you feel like you want to create a thread that says how wonderful TRF is, we will not remove it or edit it.
Moderators have personalities so there may be bumps in the road, but we will strive to keep it transparent.
So enjoy the freedom,
Super Admin

Thank you. I appreciate the explination. also, I changed the picture I posted. the intent was to make a statement, not a personal insult.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get highCool
Let me start off by posting what I did in the intro section, in the thread Dan P started:

Yesterday, 03:09 PM

I have been off the forums for a while due to some family health issues.

Having just logged on today, I was disappointed to learn of some of the issues that have occurred.
That being said, things should now be back on track.

The philosophy of the forum has not changed. Everyone gets a clean slate starting out here.

It's time to move on and get back to discussing rockets, which is why this forum was setup!

DSR

Now let me add some additional comments.

I have finally this morning had a chance to check back into TRF and YORF, and found comments RC members have posted over there about RC. That was the first I was aware this was posted outside of this forum. I saw reference to PMs being sent to the mods without getting a reply. To date I have received NO PMs from ANYONE on this forum, so I am not sure who they were addressed to. I suspect that is also be the case with the other mods, but am not sure.

Fortunately there was a discussion of the issues in the moderator section, which led me to realize there had been issues. With my time being as limited as it was yesterday (and to be frank still is), I missed this thread entirely, as I did not review the LP, HP etc. sections as I was looking in other sections for posts that may have been relevant to the issues being discussed.

I did find one thread started by Bill and commented on by Rich involving another rocketeer, which I moved to the moderator section, as it contained personal information that should not have been posted on a public forum. It has nothing to do with what RC is all about.

As to the anonymity of the mods/admins/owners - those decisions were made individually by each of us, in an effort to avoid the additional time involved when we would receive phone calls at home/be pulled aside for field chats on launch days that would occur when folks felt to the need to share their opinions/make suggestions. While we certainly welcome those, that is best done through the forum and PMs, rather than encroaching on our personal/flying time.

When I was asked to become a moderator here, having been one on several other (non rocketry) forums, I had 2 conditions: 1) that this would be a forum where EVERYONE was given a clean slate, and 2) that there would be no off topic section where folks could get into any personal/political issues (as there are enough forums out there that afford that opportunity and most of those wind up generating dissention). Those conditions were agreed to, so I joined. If you read my previous posts I believe you will find my position has remained true to that. If that was to change, I would be gone in a heartbeat.

It is my understanding that the owners of this site also share those tenets, which is why I said things should now be back on track.

A Devnull has said ALL rocket folks are welcome to post, which includes posting about their club activities, and that certainly includes URRG and its members!

I would ask everyone at this point to take a moment, reflect on what has been said, and let's get back to talking about rockets and move forward.

DSR
OK all.... there was an issue.... It's been cleaned up. Thanks you mods for the attention... Whoever you may be.

If you wanna kill this thread, it serves no further purpose.... I would not be offended.

Before I go.... we're all having a launch Black friday in Potter Wink
Dave, sorry I can't make it. It sounds like fun.
You can all fly while the ladies of the home shop.
Sounds like a win-win to me! Wink