Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Formula 200 L3 Build Thread
#41
Finally, some more painting photos.

I shot a black base coat followed by a couple coats of black ghost pearl.   The ghost pearl is really a ghost--it looks like it will only be visible in direct sunlight.  Still, not too bad:

       

I waited about 6 days before masking out the flames which extend from about 8" up on the nose cone down to the switch band.  Here are a few photos from the layout and masking process:

           

And the final result for the masked flames.  Not too bad, but I'm definitely an amateur:

       

Hope to paint the flames tomorrow afternoon or this weekend.
NAR 98479 L3
Reply
#42
Nice! What type of paint are you using, rattle can?
Reply
#43
Nice work on the masking! Looking forward to seeing it. Will you be going for layered flames, or a single color?
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Reply
#44
I'm spraying lacquer.  I never get a good finish with rattle cans, especially if it's cold outside.  I use Duplicolor paint shop because its cheap and available at the local auto parts store.  The nice part about real lacquer is that I can easily spray it down to freezing temperatures.  Like today it's 40F and sunny, no problem to spray outside. The bad part is that it isn't very durable.  I fix that by spraying an two part urethane clear for the gloss coat.

For this rocket I'm not doing the "old school" color fade flames, instead going for a candy apple green from Duplicolor's line. I've done the old school flames a couple times and I wanted to try something different this time.

So here goes.  First the silver base coat.  One light coat, three total to get a nice base:

       

Next I mix up some holographic green flake in clear and apply over the base to give a little extra "pop" in the sun:

           

I apply three coats of candy green trying as best I can to keep the overlap even and avoid tiger stripes:

           

It looks like the green flake will provide just a little sparkle under the candy:

   


After about 4-5 hours I hold my breath and ...slowly...carefully...remove the tape.  Fortunately this time I got only one tiny spot of lift off on the black base that will be covered by the pin stripes anyway:

           

The flame pattern is only so-so, but the paint job came out pretty good.  Should look fine on the away cell.  After a couple days I'll apply an intercoat clear and start the pinstriping, which I stink at.
NAR 98479 L3
Reply
#45
Love that green!
AMRS #54
WARS #24
Reply
#46
(02-27-2016, 01:03 AM)Viking Wrote: Love that green!

Thanks, it should look nice in the sun once it's clear coated.
NAR 98479 L3
Reply
#47
Very stylish!
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Reply
#48
Last Sunday, the temperature got up to 64F and sunny.  Just enough to do a gloss coat with a fast activator. 

I put three coats (one dry coat and two full wet coats).  Went down nice, with just a little orange peel.  Here are a few photos:

                   

My plan is to wet sand, then pinstripe and then put another gloss coat over the stripes.
NAR 98479 L3
Reply
#49
Looks super!
Reply
#50
Great finish with the lacquer! Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)