Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Formula 200 L3 Build Thread
Finally, some more painting photos.

I shot a black base coat followed by a couple coats of black ghost pearl.   The ghost pearl is really a ghost--it looks like it will only be visible in direct sunlight.  Still, not too bad:

I waited about 6 days before masking out the flames which extend from about 8" up on the nose cone down to the switch band.  Here are a few photos from the layout and masking process:

And the final result for the masked flames.  Not too bad, but I'm definitely an amateur:

Hope to paint the flames tomorrow afternoon or this weekend.
NAR 98479 L3
Nice! What type of paint are you using, rattle can?
Nice work on the masking! Looking forward to seeing it. Will you be going for layered flames, or a single color?
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
I'm spraying lacquer.  I never get a good finish with rattle cans, especially if it's cold outside.  I use Duplicolor paint shop because its cheap and available at the local auto parts store.  The nice part about real lacquer is that I can easily spray it down to freezing temperatures.  Like today it's 40F and sunny, no problem to spray outside. The bad part is that it isn't very durable.  I fix that by spraying an two part urethane clear for the gloss coat.

For this rocket I'm not doing the "old school" color fade flames, instead going for a candy apple green from Duplicolor's line. I've done the old school flames a couple times and I wanted to try something different this time.

So here goes.  First the silver base coat.  One light coat, three total to get a nice base:

Next I mix up some holographic green flake in clear and apply over the base to give a little extra "pop" in the sun:

I apply three coats of candy green trying as best I can to keep the overlap even and avoid tiger stripes:

It looks like the green flake will provide just a little sparkle under the candy:

After about 4-5 hours I hold my breath and ...slowly...carefully...remove the tape.  Fortunately this time I got only one tiny spot of lift off on the black base that will be covered by the pin stripes anyway:

The flame pattern is only so-so, but the paint job came out pretty good.  Should look fine on the away cell.  After a couple days I'll apply an intercoat clear and start the pinstriping, which I stink at.
NAR 98479 L3
Love that green!
AMRS #54
WARS #24
(02-27-2016, 01:03 AM)Viking Wrote: Love that green!

Thanks, it should look nice in the sun once it's clear coated.
NAR 98479 L3
Very stylish!
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Last Sunday, the temperature got up to 64F and sunny.  Just enough to do a gloss coat with a fast activator. 

I put three coats (one dry coat and two full wet coats).  Went down nice, with just a little orange peel.  Here are a few photos:

My plan is to wet sand, then pinstripe and then put another gloss coat over the stripes.
NAR 98479 L3
Looks super!
Great finish with the lacquer! Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065