Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Getting a second generation R2D2 back in the air
#1
Back when my nephew was still a Star Wars freak I picked up as many of the Estes kits as I could find on the cheap.  One of them was a built R2 rocket that seemed to only need the elastic replaced in the recovery system.
"Seemed" being the operative word.Blush
I took it to B6-4 Field one day after replacing said elastic and realized, just as I was about to load a motor into it, that it also needed the clear plastic fins that it didn't a) have, or b) come with.  DOH!
It's been sitting in my work space for a while now, but today I picked up some .030 sheet plastic at Hobby Lobby.  I'm hoping to fashion a set of fins for it with an eye toward getting it flying this weekend should this weekend be flightworthy.  Anyone have any experience in using K&S Precision Metals plastic as clear fin material?
Reply
#2
Better question: Anyone know what shape these fins are supposed to be? (Or did it include the original plans?)
Reply
#3
There's a scan of the instructions including pictures of the fins here http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1301.htm but no fin scan or dimensions for the fins.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Reply
#4
I've got an unfinished one in my collection... What exactly are you looking for?
.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Reply
#5
(08-11-2015, 01:25 AM)K Wrote: I've got an unfinished one in my collection...  What exactly are you looking for?

Nothing anymore.  I found another one on Ebay on the cheap and built it.  I was going to take it with me this past weekend, but it still isn't painted, so I left it home.  The finished/broke one may still fly, but my initial attempt at making clear fins was a flop.  I'll try again with epoxy.  The plastic cement didn't work with the sheet plastic, and I'm a bit doubtful that the epoxy will make a difference, but it will be cheap thrills at this point.  I did manage to get the Star Destroyer in the air this weekend.  Not nearly the pig that I expected it would be.
Recently finished: Estes Nova Payloader, Estes Star Wars R2D2
In the paint booth: Estes Super Neon XL, MPC Taurus-1, Estes Screamin' Mimi
Under construction: Estes Pathfinder, Estes Magician (2440), TLP Hellfire AGM-114A
Ready for decals: Semroc Cherokee D, Quasar XL
On deck: Centuri Vector V, TLP Martel AS 37
Reply
#6
go to the local high school shop teacher and see if they have a plastic brake (bender). It's a length of nichrome wire recessed in a surface - set your sheet of lexan on it, let it heat, turn it off and make the bend.

If you've got one set, you should be able to match the bends.
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)




Reply
#7
I faked it fairly well with the sheet plastic. It's just a matter of holding it on once I get it bent to shape.
Recently finished: Estes Nova Payloader, Estes Star Wars R2D2
In the paint booth: Estes Super Neon XL, MPC Taurus-1, Estes Screamin' Mimi
Under construction: Estes Pathfinder, Estes Magician (2440), TLP Hellfire AGM-114A
Ready for decals: Semroc Cherokee D, Quasar XL
On deck: Centuri Vector V, TLP Martel AS 37
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)