Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pringle's Can Rocketry
(06-25-2015, 12:09 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: Very cool projects, Astrosaint. Will you be bringing these to the August R.O.C.K.?

Herr Shockcord:  Sadly, I cannot make it to August R.O.C.K. due to other plans I have for that day.  Perhaps September ? Alvedersen. A
Rainbow 

My last photo showed this rocket to be just 2 long Pringle's Cans glued together.  Now the rocket is finished. Another 2 empty cans of Pringle's repurposed to another use.
A Smile
(06-25-2015, 12:43 PM)Astrosaint Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 12:09 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: Very cool projects, Astrosaint. Will you be bringing these to the August R.O.C.K.?

Herr Shockcord:  Sadly, I cannot make it to August R.O.C.K. due to other plans I have for that day.  Perhaps September ? Alvedersen. A

Bummer. I hope to see you in September then. Who knows? I might even have one of my rockets finished by then!
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
Big Grin 

Greetings:

Here is an image of the some of the rockets to be flown at the 2nd annual Astatula Rocket Days to celebrate the anniversary of Apollo 11's landing on the Moon.  It is open to all children living in Astatula, Florida and its free.  They get to build the SaturnEZ, the rocket to the left of the picture.  A closeup of the SaturnEZ is on the paper towel rocket thread.

A Cool
(07-12-2015, 01:22 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: Greetings:

Here is an image of the some of the rockets to be flown at the 2nd annual Astatula Rocket Days to celebrate the anniversary of Apollo 11's landing on the Moon.  It is open to all children living in Astatula, Florida and its free.  They get to build the SaturnEZ, the rocket to the left of the picture.  A closeup of the SaturnEZ is on the paper towel rocket thread.

A Cool

Looks good. I especially like the silver wrap on top. What did you use for that, mylar? chrome Monocoat?

Best of luck at the launch.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
(07-12-2015, 09:01 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 01:22 PM)Astrosaint Wrote: Greetings:

A Cool

Looks good. I especially like the silver wrap on top. What did you use for that, mylar? chrome Monocoat?

Best of luck at the launch.

>>>>>The silver wrap is A/C chrome duct tape. A Cool
Big Grin 

Greetings:

I have uploaded an image of some of the rockets flown during the Astatula Rocket Days that commemorate Apollo 11.  The smaller paper towel rockets were built by the students.  Of the bigger black and white rockets, the left one was the Mayor of Astatula rocket powered by a cluster of 3 A8-3s.  The center black and white rocket was powered by a single C6-3,  Finally, the Saturn-3/Nova was powered by a D12-3.  All of the larger rockets started out as Pringle's Cans.  The narrower tops and stuffer tubes for middle and right rockets were paper towel core tubes.  All flew nicely on the last day.

Painting was done using brush acrylic and stickers from some  of the Dollar stores.

After the launch, a small group of cub scout people came and they built some more Saturn-EZs.  I an scheduling another build and launch session for those kids in the fall.

A
Cool use of recycled material and nice to see kids learning to scratch build from found materials.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
Question for the Pringle Can builders:

All the Pringle Cans that I find/buy/use all have a metal ring at the top or bottom of the can.

1) How do you attach two cans together?
2) How do you attach a nosecone? Hand rolled?
3) what do you use for a nosecone if not hand rolled?
4) Is it not a violation of NAR guidelines to have those metal rings still on/in the rockets?

Thanks for honest answers.
Interest is sincere.
(07-27-2015, 05:20 PM)Kirk G Wrote: Question for the Pringle Can builders:

All the Pringle Cans that I find/buy/use all have a metal ring at the top or bottom of the can.

1) How do you attach two cans together?
2) How do you attach a nosecone? Hand rolled?
3) what do you use for a nosecone if not hand rolled?
4) Is it not a violation of NAR guidelines to have those metal rings still on/in the rockets?

Thanks for honest answers.
Interest is sincere.
I've made two different Pringle can rockets, one uses only a single can and the other uses two cans.  For the two can rocket I made my own coupler by cutting down another Pringle can and slitting it.  Also, make sure you strip out the silver liner inside the cans

The single  Pringle can rocket of mine is not aerodynamic - it actually uses the flat lid.  The other I used a Renusit air freshener as a cone.

Since the ring is small and not structural it does not violate the NAR guidelines

The one with the flat top I left the ring on.  The two can rocket I removed it.